Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Brrrr, it's cold!

Haven't posted in a while, as it's been getting a bit chilly and I'm a wuss when it comes to throwing myself into freezing cold water. I had more or less hung up my bootees until spring. Until last Friday, when I got an email about free places on a weekend course run by
DMG in Malahide. Now, I knew this was a slightly daft idea but I was thoroughly fed up and in need of some cheering up. So I decided to do it. Got a text later in the afternoon from DMG Dave to meet at 10am on Saturday on the Kilcrea side. Weather forecast was windy but cold. Well, it was late November...

Lots of running around on Saturday morning trying to find all the bits and pieces. My winter bootees were finally discovered hiding in the wardrobe where they had rested undisturbed since last spring. It didn't seem all that windy but it was definitely picking up. And it was cold - about 7 or 8 degrees. At least I remembered my woolly hat and gloves this time.

By this stage, the wind had picked up, so I rigged the 4.7. Having tried out my new boom in Belmullet, I hadn't been entirely happy with the 24" harness lines I had on it. So I bought a set of 28" DaKine lines (exactly the same length as Neil Pryde 26", as it happens). I put these on and they were perfect. We sailed for an hour or so and then took a break for lunch, supplied as part of the course. I really needed that soup 'n sandwich, and the chocolate was a bonus. Mmmmm!

As usual, I was making a few feeble attempts to initiate a carve gybe. And as usual, I wasn't getting very far. This time the cold was a big factor - as soon as I came out of the harness my hands just didn't have enough strength to grip the boom properly. I've never had success with gloves before, but maybe it's time to take another look.

Wearing the hood was a interesting experience. On the one hand, it did a brilliant job of keeping my head warm. But, no such thing as a free lunch. It really affected my judgement of wind direction and strength. I could hear ok but not nearly as well as normal. And when I fell in, the water seemed to stay in my ears. I did notice that neoprene beanie hats seemed popular with other sailors - word is that it's much better if the ears aren't totally covered. But having said that, I did find myself getting a bit used to it after a while, so maybe it's just practice.

The afternoon was great blasting weather, but it was much harder work in the cold so I made fewer attemts at anything fancy. Still it was great to be out, and I went home much happier.

Sunday was light wind hell, despite the weather forecast which predicted very strong wind by mid-afternoon. I worked a bit on deep-water beachstarts - oh dear, my flexibility really leaves a lot to be desired. The wind did start to pick up a little about 3pm but by that stage I was heading home to thaw out. Today is Tuesday and the car is still full of windsurfing stuff. No prize for tidiness, I'm afraid.

All in all, good fun and well worth doing. But roll on warm weather!

2 comments:

PeconicPuffin said...

Yes the water is cold, but the day after we remember the session more than the shivers! I'm hoping to sail at least one day locally every month of the year (last year I only missed February.)

How is the gybing coming? Took me years, but I finally got it. Ducks too.

-Michael (sailing the cooling waters of Long Island, New York)

peconicpuffin.com

stillcantgybe said...

Hmm, I tried responding earlier but it seemed to get lost. So I'll try again.

Hi Michael, thanks for the comment. I agree that a good session makes us soon forget the cold. But I remain a bit of a wuss about getting myself out there in the winter months. Must try harder... :-)

Gybing remains an elusive target for me. Yet again, I think it'll be my New Year resolution for 2007.