Monday, September 11, 2006

Into the West

Off to Mayo for the weekend, for a WOWI 'introduction to waves' weekend with instructor Noelle Doran. We stayed in Westport, at The Harbour Mill apartments. Of course, I had planned to be all organised so I could set off earlyish direct from work but that didn't happen. But the traffic wasn't too bad so I got to Westport about 9. I was first to arrive, so I checked out the accommodation. Not bad at all - we even had a washing machine and dishwasher. Not to mention the on-site steam room and jacuzzi to soothe those aching muscles.

Two of my partners in crime arrived soon after, and we went for a bite to eat in a Chinese restaurant where we were soon joined by two more. We weren't up for a big night, so we headed back to the apartment for a glass or two of wine and an early night. The forecast looked very promising, with moderate to fresh winds for Saturday and getting a bit stronger for Sunday.

Hah! Never trust the weather forecast. Saturday morning was quite sunny, but only a gentle breeze in Westport. Maybe it would be better on the beach (Cross Strand), we reasoned as we set off. Well, it wasn't really but it was still early so we had a theory session while we waited. Noelle had lots of great tips for us about getting started in the waves. She also had some great points about how we women have slightly different requirements from our kit, which is generally designed for men who are taller and heavier than us. Hmmm, taller maybe but I'd rather not think too much about the weight thing... too depressing by far.

After a spot of lunch it was time to get on the water. I rigged my new 6.8, which had never been used before. The wind still wasn't up to much, although thankfully the waves were small and friendly. Cross Strand is a beautiful spot, with lovely scenery and clean clear water. Depending on conditions, it can apparently be very challenging so we were lucky with the waves if not the wind.

Well, I can safely say it was one of the worst days I've had in ages. Not enough wind to plane or waterstart, but enough movement in the water to make uphauling and tacking really difficult. So I spent most of my time wallowing in the water, drifting downwind at a steady pace. I eventually gave up, wobbled in and did the walk of shame back up the beach. Sigh, this can be such a frustrating sport. I think I need a new mast and I definitely need a new boom, but I can't complain as my boom is ancient.

Anyhow, back to the apartment for food, drink and excellent chat. It was worth the trip for that alone. Plans were laid for a possible trip to Donegal in November. Sounds chilly, but very tempting.

Sunday looked a little better as we set off, and much better when we arrived at the beach. I hesitated between 5.5 and 6, but went for 5.5 in the end. No uphauling required this time. The waves were still small and friendly with sets of 3, perfect for learning. It seemed to me that every time I came towards the beach to catch a wave my timing was perfect - perfectly wrong, that is! I always seemed to be just before or just after a set, but I did notice definite unexplained acceleration from time to time so maybe I was doing better than I thought. Either way, I didn't care - I was having too much fun to care. All the frustration of Saturday was forgotten. Windsurfing! What's not to like?

No comments: