Monday, September 04, 2006

Northern Exposure

If you look really really closely, there is a windsurfer in this pic
Haven't been out much in a while, to put it mildly. In fact, the last time I sailed was on hols in Sardinia back in July. Which was very nice, as it happens. But time moves on and my gear has been gathering ever more dust. So, before it all became completely obsolete, it was time to take the plunge once again.

I generally sail in Malahide, which has its advantages in that it's safe and works in most wind directions. But it's unpleasantly sludgy underfoot and anyway I'm supposed to be thinking about waves, so I really should be getting out more in the sea.

Saturday looked like there might be wind, but for some reason I just wasn't really keen so I opted for a spot of retail therapy. Didn't buy much, just a few books, but a nice lazy day to gather my energy. Saturday evening I got a text from S about a possible trip to Carlingford if I was interested. More details to follow on Sunday morning. I've never sailed there, but I've heard great things, so it sounded like a plan.

Next morning, the venue had changed to a place called Gyles' Quay, between Dundalk and Carlingford. I loaded up the car and set off. Found the place no bother and checked out the sailing area. There were a few very friendly local sailors on the beach, the sun was shining and the wind looked very promising. I chose my weapon - 4.7 - and off I went.

Oh dear, didn't seem like a great choice. The wind seemed to have dropped to just enough to get going but not planing (although that might not be entirely unconnected to my poor technique). And waterstarting involved waiting patiently for a gust as I drifted off downwind past the jetty and towards some rocks. I had decided to go in and get something bigger, it was just a matter of tacking back to the beach. Which was taking some time...

Then, suddenly, the wind kicked in. Woo hoo! One minute I was slogging along barely moving, next thing I was planing happily in the straps. And waterstarting easily - a small sail is so much easier to lift. Brilliant! I stayed out for about an hour before I decided I was getting a little bit tired. As it happened, the wind seemed to drop off a bit after I came in. Still good, but maybe not quite 4.7 good.

Drove home with smile glued on face. It's a bit of a trek from South Dublin, but well worth the journey. Quite a pleasant drive, even, as it's nearly all motorway. I'll be back.

No comments: